<VV> Battery charger with 50 Amp "Engine Start" enough ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Mon Aug 2 19:50:07 EDT 2010

This 50 A "Engine Start" / charger is designed to jump start an engine with
a dead battery from house current, with no time to charge, i.e., just what I
want.  They make an 80 A version, but that is for larger (more modern ?)
trucks, etc.

It does advise that it NOT be used with no battery in place, but its warning
is that the car's electrical circuits could be damaged.

I could infer from that statement that I could use this unit instead of the
battery, eliminating the battery, except for the that electrical circuits
could be damaged.

I have two nearly new batteries, both indicate (with a different charger)
that they are fully charged, both giving the same results.

Hence, I bought the "Engine Start" / charger to ensure that I have
sufficient juice, and eliminate the battery as a variable in this equation.
I'd hook it to the 220 if I thought it would help !

However, the solenoid just clicks, and when it does try to crank, it is
v-e-r-y  s-l-o-w ...
The connections are all clean and tight on the battery, solenoid and
starter.

I have NOT pulled the starter to test it separately, which is next.

Is this solenoid available separately, or only as a starter-solenoid unit
(as is the usual case nowadays) ?

Charlie