<VV> Mystery AM/FM Early Radio?

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Aug 5 08:51:25 EDT 2010

KMFEAR at aol.com wrote:
> I bought this am/fm on ebay. Its obviously from an early. Upon receipt the
> fit is excellent and the faceplate perfect. Is it possible there was an
> early am/fm??

Well, no... but yes.

There was no factory-authorized AM-FM radio for the Corvair until 1965.
However, there did exist a tiny handful of aftermarket units (I saw an
NOS one in the box many, many years ago) that looked reasonably close to
stock, more so than this unit does.

This one is likely either an aftermarket unit or simply a unit from
another vehicle that has been adapted to the Corvair housing.

--Bob Marlow