<VV> Rear End or Automatic Lock Up?

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Sat Aug 7 11:29:26 EDT 2010

Reminds me of the time, back in the later 60s, when the pinion gear came loose from the pinion shaft on my 63 Monza.  The gear slid back and forth on the shaft alternating locking up the differential and allowing it to turn.
Ken P

*************************************
"Gary Powell" <hmsheffield at ssctv.net> wrote:

I've been trying to get a 63 powerglide rampside running and everything was going
fine until in one of my short test drives.  From a standing stop the engine sounded fine
until I tried to pull out and it was like the breaks were on full. The engine bogged down
and whould then stall.  I disconnected the throttle linkage and played with it a bit, re
connected and it pulled out fine.  I went about 10/15 mph when all of a sudden the rear
wheels locked up (skidded to a stop) but the engine did not die.  I could hear a strange
"girgling" sound from the rear end.  I haven't worked on my Corvairs for 25
years, and they had always been a 4 speed, so the powerglide is new to me.  Any help or
ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Gary