<VV> Restoration - DIY is $atisfying on $o-o-o-o many levels

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Sun Aug 8 15:58:55 EDT 2010

Yes, there are some things even you can't do, but the article that
disappointed me back then said nothing about what the "restorer" did, just
how to find someone else to pay to do it.

Someone here recently said (to my post about parking brakes) that it's
easier to buy a new one, and I agree, except for two things :

1) buying things costs more (OK, in the long term maybe not, but often
enough)
1a) the Flat Rate Manual - in my experience - tells me (a) the minimum I
will be charged, because they will not charge less (especially if you've
already agreed to pay more)

2) DIY is an opportunity to learn, albeit a challenge at times !
2a) DIY gives some insight into how to fix it when you don't have
time/access/$$ to pay someone to do it.
2b) ESPECIALLY when you've paid someone mega$ to take a Wild *** guess at
your expense, and
      1) did not fix the problem
      2) caused another problem
      3) fixed it wrong (i.e. wrong trans gasket blocking oil to the diff
causing diff to literally explode, putting head gaskets in backwards
blocking oil to the cams and water to the block, among others)

If I do it myself, I know what part to look for along the side of the road
when something falls off after I repaired it myself ;>})ggg !

So, DIY is so much more satisfying on $o-o-o-o many levels !

Charlie