<VV> Was "most cars begin life as"- now Restoration

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Aug 8 15:54:39 EDT 2010

At 03:18 PM 8/8/2010, J R Read_HML wrote:
>I see little if any difference - money VS time.  One could say "I restored
>it myself" OR "I had it restored" OR "I did the things I felt competent at
>and had the rest done by others".  Any way you slice it, the restoration was
>accomplished by the will to make it happen.
>
>Examples...  The heads go to a machine shop.

I did mention "grudgingly" taking specific parts for machine work
that I can't do.   Pressing in valve seats is one of the things I
don't have the equipment to do.

>The exhaust system is likely
>purchased as a unit (at least the parts to put it together).

But I DO acquire the correct parts and I put it together.

I *have* fabricated 140 U-pipes via some welding and a bit of
ingenuity.   They worked out well.  I've also adapted non-original
but correct-appearing mufflers to a Corvair headpipe by doing some
discrete welding on the muffler inlet to snake it down to the correct
size ( Walker generic replacement, $24.95 at Woods Auto Parts ) and
fabricating a hanger that fits without allowing the muffler to twist
( welded together a couple pieces of steel strap with holes in the
right places, then welded to the muffler ).

...would you suggest that replacing a fender with a factory made
replacement part is somehow "not a true restoration" effort?

I once cut off a front fender from a parts car, and put it on my
Corsa ragtop back in the 1980s after it was tagged by a Chevy Blazer
that failed to yield right-of-way.

All it took was a MIG welder and my time ( which was free ).   I paid
the guy 35 bucks for the ( excellent ) front fender, which I took off.

Since I did not hammer out a replacement fender like those Ferrari
fanatics do at the factory, was I somehow "cheating"?

In the end, total cost out of my pocket was... 35 bucks.   What would
it have cost to pay a body shop to go out and acquire a fender then
weld it to the ragtop?   Even at 1980s prices I think I came out WAY ahead.

>Not many of us
>can do the machining of the heads or build a stock exhaust system from
>scratch.

I did actually pin the seats on a pair of 140 heads, which worked out
pretty well and not a single seat ever came out again.    A guide DID
come out of one of the heads a few years later, not the fault of the
seat mods...  I imagine I'll be fixing that head myself as well,
sooner or later.

And, yes I CAN build a 'Vair head pipe myself if I had to.  But, I
don't have to; I have several good ones in the shed.   But I'll sure
be putting them on a car MYSELF.   I'll also modify them if need
be.   Myself.

So, when does a resto (or rather, in my case, a refurbishment since a
true restoration means to *Restore* the car to as-new) become NOT
done by the do'er by virtue of his having used factory or repro
components instead of fabricating their own replacements from scratch?

I will farm out the few things I'm unable to do...  while doing
everything else myself.   I will NOT spend 2000 bucks for body work
prep and new paint when I'm able to do it myself.

tony..