<VV> Was "most cars ...

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 8 19:31:50 EDT 2010

>Pressing in valve seats is one of the things I don't have the equipment to do.

Ah, but that IS equipment I am sure you have -- an oven and the BFH --
boring the hole for the new seat may be different.

But, not everybody has even that level of skill, but they like Corvairs,
and can afford to pay some other fanatic who does have the skills, so it
all works out  -- I know, it is the claim that "I" restored the car,
when actually the work was done by someone else and they paid to have it
done,  but, if they didn't, the car would not have magically restored
itself, and they helped keep the money in circulation -- yeah!

These folks miss out on the satisfaction of having done the actual work
themselves, so be proud of what you know you can do, but don't denigrate
those folks who have skills that us laborers don't have.  I know one of
those types who went out, bought a welder (TIG), learned to use it, and
wound up building a very nice twin-turbo 350 powered 32 Ford roadster
literally from the ground up, learning as he went, including paint  --
some folks just aren't this patient  -- doesn't mean they couldn't do it
if they chose to.  Yes, he bought spindles, rear end gears, axles,
brakes, wheels, tranny, engine, clutch, wire, steel, and a body --
headlight and other bulbs.  He built, installed, and programmed his own
induction system.  Fair to say it is "his" car, even if he did buy a GM
crate engine.

mo,

Bill Strickland