<VV> "pay someone who has the skills ... "

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Sun Aug 8 22:49:57 EDT 2010

To "pay some other fanatic who does have the skills, so it all works out" is
OK if that person knows what they are doing, which requires that you know at
least enough to judge his qualifications, and being diplomatic enough not to
intimidate him.

I can only hope that my experiences are truly unique !

I still have the $475 (non-refundable) ECU chip in my toolbox that was the
mechanic's best guess before he gave up and I found the loose wire that was
causing my Audi to stall sometimes.

Or the guy who replaced my 65 Corsa's 4-speed with a '66 Saginaw ?
He changed the mount because it simply would not fit, but the 65 gasket
"appeared" to fit Or he made his own ?), except the pesky little passage
that starved the diff for oil, and split it in half, MELTING the pinion gear
and the tapered needles looked like chewing gum !!! (No kidding - I kept it
for years, but lost it at some point, it was so cool to see, but expensive
!)

Or this last guy who put my 96 Ford Probe's head gasket in backward ?  (Yes
it's possible) and the guy before that who convinced me I needed a new
timing belt and then installed an even older one, for $800 ?

Then when I towed my 66 Monza from New York to NC, the guy who put new
wheels and tires on her for the trip was terribly offended when I tried to
tighten the lugs.

I lost a wheel before getting to the first rest stop where I was going to
tighten them, but it was too late.  The wheel took out the hood and
windshield of an oncoming car (no one was injured, thank Zeus !)

There are more, but these come to mind.

Let's hope I'm a magnet for these guys, and that they made enough money on
me that they'll leave you alone !

I did get a lot of good stories, but they just sound like I'm exaggerating
or whining, but they ARE interesting !!!!

Charlie