<VV> Pay someone - Flat Rate Manual is science fiction

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Mon Aug 9 13:53:31 EDT 2010

That's why the Flat Rate Manual is the mechanic's best friend !

Look up a few jobs that you've done and compare.

I find that, as a novice without the right tools (lift, pit, etc) working on
my back in the driveway, I can do most jobs in about 1/4 of the time or
less.

Yes, there are jobs, like an infamous Corvette engine that "flat rates" at
10 hours but dealers can't do it (at their own expense) in less that 20, if
their defensive stories are to be believed.

Service manager at Fritz Ford said he charges Flat Rate even if it takes
less time, because  sometimes it might take longer, due to rusted, broken
parts or whatever.

He was stunned when I asked, "So, my well cared for car that takes less time
subsidizes the guy who doesn't take care of his car, and at my expense ?"

He had no response, but did admit that he hires mechanics by "how many 5
hour jobs he can do in 5 hours" !

When I pulled my car out, the tow driver charged an extra $50 because the
dealer "couldn't find my car" - that was right there when I said I wanted it
back !

Talk about "frosty" !

Charlie