<VV> box question - adjustments ?

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Tue Aug 10 04:39:18 EDT 2010

Over the years, I have had 2 steering boxes that were loose.
Both times it was on a 67 model.
The last one I tried adjusting, but the adjustment was too much and the box
felt too tight when turning.
To get rid of the tightness, I had to back it off back to where I started.
I picked up a used box from Corvair Ranch and is fine ever since.
There is always the possibility your box is beyond adjustment.
But by all means, try adjusting first.
But if it feels a drag while turning, the box needs rebuilding, or
replacing.

Gary Swiatowy

From: "Charles Lee" <Chaz at ProperProper.com>
Subject: <VV> Steering box question - adjustments ?

Can the steering box in my 67 Monza be adjusted ?

It is a little loose in the wheel - more play than I'd like, but drivable,
maybe 10 or more degrees before any noticeable movement of front wheels ?

No other symptoms, but this seems to be too much, certainly more than I'd
really like.

If it needs replacing, is a quick-steer a viable option without being
excessively expensive to switch ?

Thanks
Charlie