<VV> box question - adjustments ?

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 11:15:26 EDT 2010

If you look at the GM manual, to adjust the steering correctly, you must do
two things. If you just adjust the top screw as we have discussed, you are
adding a unwanted side load to the wormshaft balls. This is OK to a point,
but if too tight will cause excessive wear.  For my 62, I go to the 62/63
shop supplement section 4.
It says:
1. Straighten wheels. Pull the pitman arm off.
2. Loosen the lash adjuster screw at least 2 and 1/2 turns to remove sector
high point loading. (this is the screw we have been adjusting)
3. Use a spring scale and determine how much force is required to turn the
wheel, should be 7/16 to 11/16 lbs. Turn at least a quarter turn both
directions to get away from center.
4. If adjustment is necessary, loosen worm bearing adjuster lock nut to
adjust tension on the worn screw bearings to within limits
5. Tighten worm bearing lock nut and recheck. Readjust as needed.
6. Now go back and adjust lash adjuster screw on top of case until you get 1
1/8 to 1 1/2 lbs pressure to turn wheel, again moving past neutral. Tighten
lock nut and recheck. Readjust as necessary
7. Center wheels and steering wheel and reattach pitman arm, making sure
everything is straight.

There you go.. Enjoy.

Mark Durham