<VV> Steering box question - adjustments ? (Additional Info)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 15:05:22 EDT 2010

I received the information I have posted below in a private post and have
forwarded it here without the original author's name to maintain his privacy.
 I feel it includes valuable information for all on VV to take into
consideration when adjusting their steering boxes.

Doc (Always willing to learn something new.)

Private Post, off list.  The steering nut is designed with a high center or
tight "on center".  this is to remove all possible slop in the straight
ahead position.  To prove this, take any and I mean any good tight ball and nut
steering box car and crank it to one side.  It will gain 10 to 15 degrees
of slop.  As you say where most wear takes place in the center and if you
adjust for a snug contact off to one side it will tighten dramatically as you
approch straight ahead  You can damage the little ball bearings on the shaft
doing this.  The exception to this is if the whole center area of the nut is
wore the hell out.  Then your guess is good as mine what to adjust it to.