<VV> Toyota - no Vair

frankcb at aol.com frankcb at aol.com
Thu Aug 12 16:20:36 EDT 2010

     Well, if I were driving a Toyota regularly, I would simply practice quickly (and without looking) shifting the auto trans into neutral either using a deserted parking lot or a deserted stretch of roadway to do so.  This would avoid having to shut off the engine thereby losing power steering and at least some of the braking ability.  It would be a lot simpler if the A/Ts today still had the pushbutton trans that the 50s Chrysler products had.  IMO, that is still the BEST design to avoid having to go through other gears to get to the one your want.

Frank "still remembering the past" Burkhard

The ongoing investigation into Toyota's unintended acceleration problem and
over up indicates that they have known of the problem since 2003.  In
ddition, there are reports from their own dealership mechanics confirming
ustomer's complaints of this problem.
Yes, I suspect that many, if not most, of the problems are due to driver
rror but there is confirmation of both a real problem as well as a cover up.
Doc