<VV> Unintended Acceleration - No Corvair

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Aug 12 19:12:57 EDT 2010

 Very interesting ... I have not been able to get either my 87 nor my 89 Cadillac to duplicate your results.  I think they are the same systems ... on the Cadillacs it is difficult to turn the system on and activate it; two hands are required so I could not be sure my timing was correct.

But the 1975 Buick had been running along on the cruise control for more than an hour and probably 75 or more miles when it happened.   I was riding passenger and when I looked my wife's feet were no where near either of the pedals and the throttle was clearly on the carpets.  The whole think took no more than three seconds.
Ken P

***********************
Joel McGregor <joelsplace at earthling.net> wrote:

My '89 Buick's cruise will hold it wide open under certain circumstances.  It isn't
a big deal.  That's what brains, brakes and an ignition switch are for.  Mine is very
repeatable.  If you turn on the cruise and immediately hit set it happens every time.  If
you wait a half second before you hit set it's fine.  I can't tell you how many times
I've had a branch or something snag a throttle cable on a dirt bike and hold it wide
open.  They all had much better power to weight ratios than any car people are
complaining about and it wasn't a problem with them either.  Stuff happens.  You should
always be alert to what is going on.
Joel McGregor