<VV> more brakes: question

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez vairguy at echoes.net
Fri Aug 13 18:33:48 EDT 2010

Just FYI I just fixed the leaking front brake, but have not yet tracked down the problem with the rears not working.. but while I was doing it:

My father (a LONG time retired mechanic) came by and tried to turn the drum I had just reinstalled...  The drum can not be turned by hand.  I just installed new shoes and put it together with the adjusters all the way in, then took it for a short drive (before failure) during which it theoretically adjusted somewhat.  I now put the drums on and bled the front brakes.

So with brand new shoes on unworn drums freshly installed.. should I be able to turn the drum by hand?  If so what is wrong?  I assure you the brakes are assembled correctly and I don't have any preload on the wheel bearings.  I tightened the nuts with a ratchet, backed them out, and turned them back in by hand.

The shoes are Wearever silver part FB189 and it is a 63 Monza coupe.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction and almost done!)
63' Monza PG coupe (almost done!)