<VV> Toyota - no Vair

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Aug 16 07:26:17 EDT 2010

It is kind of surprising how many 'contract' parts Japanese cars have shared over the years.  In one project in which I was involved I was examining an applied header / door glass channel on the door of a Camry.  It was a one piece rolled section which was then bent to match the windshield pillar and the roof from the hinge pillar to the back edge of the door.

The doors had been removed from the Camry body and I happened to notice a Honda door in another part of the room.  How different were they, I thought?  I carried the Honda door over to the Camry body and found that it fit not only along the 'A' pillar and roof line but it actually bolted to the hinge pillar!  The Honda door was a couple of inches shorter so it did not fit the latch but ...

Now I am wondering how many other Japanese cars have a throttle problem and have not yet been caught?
Ken P

Tony Underwood <tony.underwood at cox.net> wrote:  [in part]

The pedal is a contract part, not a Toyota part... and several other
car makers use the same pedal assembly.   None of them had any
runaway issues.