<VV> Corvair and OBD, EFI, etc

Tom Berg thesuperscribe at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 07:51:21 EDT 2010

Face it: Our Corvair engines simply don't burn very cleanly. Maybe 10 years ago
in southern California a woman pulled up next to me on a freeway offramp and
yelled, "P-U! That thing stinks! Get it fixed!" (She was driving an early Chevy
Avalanche with all the plastic cladding, and I could've accused her of visual
pollution, but let it go.)

I did not take offense, and instead took it to heart. The carbs needed
rebuilding and I eventually got 'em done. Later, a guy here in Ohio who knows
Corvairs rebuilt 'em again. I can't follow myself so don't know if the fumes
are fewer, but it runs better so I'm hoping it is cleaner.

Even so, there's a limit to how much an old engine can be tuned for clean
burning. And remember, inability to get the air-cooled engine to meet government
emissions limits is one reason GM gave for cancelling the Corvair.

--Tom in Ohio