<VV> master cylinder R & R - Flat Rate crap shoot

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Wed Aug 18 11:05:29 EDT 2010

Charlie,

I understand you have had bad experiences. I too have and have observed
more. However, having said that, given an honest mechanic, would you believe
him? "Uh, Mr. Lee, your car is a POS. Did you drive it thru a salt bath?
Someone booogered up the holes. One bolt head is rounded off. Every fricken
bolt I take out is frozen and I have to drill and tap a new hole, modify the
fitting hole to take a larger bolt, dress the surface so it mates properly."
"It is usually a 1 hour job but it took 7 hours with a 15 min break in the
middle."

Are you happy with that? Would you believe him?

Is it worth it to the service tech to argue with every customer about how
messed up his car is? You should see the junk that comes into a garage...
often that the home shade tree mechanic tried to fix... A Fact:  New parts
don't always work as they should; they leak, they are the wrong part for the
application, the don't work correctly or not a all, or they fail soon after
installation.

Secondly, since you are in a consultant business, you surely know about
overhead and how much it costs for insurance, unemployment costs &
insurance, regular insurance, utilities, property costs including taxes,
EPA/OSHA costs, advertising, specialty tools, modern computer upgrades
yearly for multiple makes so the electronics can be observed to get you
closer to the problem, and subscriptions to troubleshooting services. I
asked my Son about helping a friend down here with his '90's something V8
running problem. He said, "Dad, there are so many sensors affecting a
reading on the OBD, that I can't diagnose it from the phone. The codes only
get you so close. You just have to go thru it and eliminate the most obvious
and usual suspects to get to the problem."

Often the FMR doesn't include diagnostic time. Yeah, it takes 30 min to do a
familiar job, but figuring out what to do takes?  That is why dealer techs
throw parts at a problem - not defending them - and they get incentives for
selling services... NOT defending them.

If you consider restoration costs... by the hour, to do it right. Do you
really think the shops are making a lot of money or the skilled techs are?

Price parts for a Corvair engine overhaul. Price parts for a modern car. I
don't care if the mark-up is 50% and you get it wholesale, it still costs a
helluva lot of money to do something now days.

Advice: Find a private shop. Find one that does good work, stands behind
their work and TRUST them to take care of your car. ALWAYS  take it to them.
Don't give them a hard time every time or over nothing.  Get their trust and
they will take care of you. Easy to say, but IF & WHEN you find the shop,
religiously use them.

Chuck S
Shade tree mechanic, race engine builder, carb modifications, select parts
fabricator w/ machine shop, welding, and metal bending services.