<VV> Flat Rate Manual debate

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Wed Aug 18 13:22:28 EDT 2010

First, yes I might, but I have not had the experience.

I gave the Audi mechanic (when I personally witnessed that the car was in
the shop for under an hour), not only charge the 4+ hours, but ask for
another hour to fix something that he broke, tat he should have known (and I
expressly stated as a possible problem : steel stud in aluminum housing -
that he broke !)

Then, if he told me my car was a POS, I would ask him to be more specific
(like someone here on VV called me "cheap, poor and pathetic") and tell me
someone I can use.

I live in Sunny SoCal, so no rust and no salt, and (nearly) all 120K was
highway driving.

http://www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/ZX2.htm (also links to my 1996 Probe)

Both are DOA at this time while I practice on my 1967 Monza

This is what started the "Flat Rate Manual" thread, to see if I can still do
a starter on a car that was driven through a salt bath, all boogered up,
with missing and broken bolts, etc, etc, but unfortunately after 43 years,
none of that seems to have slowed me down much ?

Also doing it myself enabled me to (a) diagnose the problem when a loose
heater hose cut through my axle when I first bought the car, and (b) replace
the axle on the side of the road after (c) finding one nearby on VV.

Re : "Is it worth it to a tech ... ?"

Yes, any good tech will look at the car and advise the customer what the job
entails.

This could be the real source of the problem - being too lazy to do this,
and dealing with it when it is no longer clear who did what ?

It also prepares the customer for a bigger bill when you show him (or her)
the broken, missing and boogered up parts that exist BEFORE the job starts.

The theory for a shop is to get the customer started on a job, so that they
are "invested" and are more likely to pour "good money after bad" when
they've already spent a lot to "prime their pump" (i.e. wallet)

It's not easy for anyone, but the ARD (repair shop) is the authority, and
the customer is reliant on the shop's integrity to NOT take advantage of the
customer's relative ignorance, to their detriment.

Yes, yes, I know that they are out there, and I'm still looking, so I'll let
you know when it happens (or you can come with me next time, if there is a
next time) ?

Charlie