<VV> : Toyota - a tiny bit of Corvair, and NOT just a theory

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Aug 18 22:43:26 EDT 2010

At 05:06 AM 8/16/2010, Gary Swiatowy wrote:

>Not really a dumb question, but watch the following video for instructions
>on how to stop a Prius. WARNING! But if you are offended by foul language,
>please disregard this.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ4PtafRB9c

This is all fine and good...

Let's see what might have happened to Mr Effbom when the electronics
in his Prius (which might NOT have gotten uprated during the recall)
jam the transmission in gear, opens the throttle wide, and locks the
shut-down circuitry in GLITCH mode so that, like in so many OTHER
Toyota products that ran away and couldn't be controlled, couldn't be
shut off, and couldn't be stopped with the crippled anti-lock brakes,
the driver is simply along for the ride with not a Helluva lot to do
except point the car in a safe direction unless you're unlucky as all
Hell like that cop who got the wrong end of the stick and got himself
killed along with half his family because he "didn't know how to
effing drive".

Mr Effbom needs a wakeup call...

I'm not impressed.   The guy is an ass-hole.

...OR, maybe his implication is that it's just that the people who
happened to drive Toyotas don't know how to drive since nobody
building any other marque had a flock of THEIR cars take off and run
away resulting in massive recalls during which the manufacturer was
quietly replacing the electronics they'd earlier insisted were fine.

It doesn't matter to me; I don't own one and never will.   But
there's a bunch out there who are going to insist that all the people
who had issues with a Toyota are all full of crap and it's all their
own fault.    At least the domestic manufacturers have traditionally
admitted there was a problem when they got tagged instead of blaming
it on carpets, gas pedals, and "idiots" who can't tell a brake pedal
from a gas pedal.

Everything I drive (read: Corvairs) has the skinny pedal connected
directly to the throttle.   It's like that because *I* know how to
operate a throttle and do NOT require an effing computer to interpret
my intent into throttle openings for me.   Likewise the transmission
which is NOT electronically controlled because I know how to shift it
and don't require a friggin microprocessor to do it for me.

And I have a 'Vair with a SWITCH with a KEY that I KNOW will shut the
ignition OFF, instead of relying on yet ANOTHER processor to shut the
engine off when I tell it that I want it to stop... and hope it's not
gonna glitch up and hang in the last state it was in before it
glitched... unless of course it has the uprated
electronics.   ;)  You know, the ones that Toyota insisted were just
fine...

Now:

Does ANYBODY remember that stupid-ass joke that was circulating
around during Windows-95's first introduction to the masses... and
how a car would function if it was built by Microsoft?

Now we know.

tony..