<VV> problems with my car

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 18:51:16 EDT 2010

Re: "...the drivers side is relatively cool and use about the  correct
amount of fuel drippage..."

Charles, at idle, there should be NO dripping visible in the  carb,
anywhere. Suggest, before using your UniSyn, you follow the shop  manual
instructions concerning initial throttle plate opening and cross linkage  adjustments.
Then fine tune the flow using the UniSyn. If, after being sure the
throttle plates are not adjusted too far open (at idle), fuel still drips from  the
venturi clusters, then look for: carb floats set too high or leak in
floats. Barring no other problems with the engine (including, but not limited to
vacuum leaks), and with fuel not dripping from the venturi clusters, a poor
idle  is generally due to too lean or too rich a mixture. If adjusting the
idle  mixture screw has no effect, then the problem is likely within the
carb  idle circuit. If partially cupping a gloved hand over the top of the carb
 smooths the idle, then the poor idle is due to a lean condition; in this
case,  after being certain all the carb settings meet spec; there are no
vacuum leaks,  and the carbs are correctly balanced, try the following: remove
the idle mixture  screw; using the "straw" that comes with your favorite
aerosol carb cleaner,  place the "straw" firmly into the adjustment screw
opening and squirt a generous  dose of cleaner into the opening; you should hear
squirting sounds from  the throat of the carburetor. For good measure, follow
up with a blast  of compressed air (I use about 75 psi), again, directly
into the idle mixture  screw opening. I've had carbs, especially since the
introduction of  ethanol-infected fuel, requiring this treatment on a
reoccurring basis.  And, I've also had to completely abandon use of several carbs due
to  deterioration of the internal passageways. Best of luck in solving your
idle  issue.

Mike Mauro