<VV> carbs

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sun Aug 22 10:03:59 EDT 2010

 Hot rodding has been notoriously lacking in scientific rigor more times than any scientist type in the field would like to admit to!

As such, true side by side comparisons with a single variable being the difference are exceedingly rare.

That being said, the rules regarding carbs aren't there to make cars faster, they are there to keep costs down in those classes and/or make the fuel delivery system consistent across the board. EFI is a serious technical challenge to the tech inspectors, as the software, etc., can be deceiving far more easily than with a carb.
The cost thing is gone nowadays, given what top notch carburetors costs for most racing classes, and standard off the shelf EFI components can provide top notch performance when selected and set up properly, in most cases.

For a Corvair, for instance, there are lots of inexpensive injectors, throttle bodies, sensors, fuel pumps, etc. that will do a top notch job on these engines. Heck, it's not even tough to weld in port injector bungs on stock heads if you wanted MPFI!

John Roberts