<VV> cheaper to buy them finished

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez vairguy at echoes.net
Mon Aug 23 14:58:35 EDT 2010

So many people point out that it is cheaper to buy a finished corvair than it is to restore one...  here is my argument (for fun!):

It's much easier to convince the "wife" that I need to spend a couple hundred bucks for another corvair than a couple grand.  Once you own it it's not as difficult to argue the "need" to spend a few hundred bucks at a time for parts that you absoutely need, especially since they will increase the value of one of your assets! (ggg!)

More seriously the satisfaction I get from "saving" a car that was previously destined to rot away in some field or make its way to the crusher is well worth what I spend.  Even more important is the feeling of accomplishment you get after a job well done... before and after photo's are a must!  Lastly I think it's possible to come out ahead on a project car if you spend your make the right choices, spend wisely, and do all (or most) of the work yourself.  Missy's 63' is going to be finished with around $3,000 total invested... $3,500 tops.  Sure its nowhere near perfect but I think $3,500 is pretty darn good for a nice car that runs well, has brand new upholstery, carpet, headliner, and door panels, and brand new (done at home) paint!

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction and almost done!)
63' Monza PG coupe (almost done!)