<VV> headlights my way

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Aug 24 00:11:02 EDT 2010

At 04:45 PM 8/23/2010, J R Read_HML wrote:
>Never did it myself, but I've seen many with just one landing light in the
>high beam socket.  Probably plenty sufficient.
>Later, JR

The popular trick back when was to mount a single Lucas Flamethrower
lamp in one HB socket.   It was all you needed...   ;)  A local
chapter member's '66 Corsa turbo ragtop has one and it's impressive.

Others later on discovered that you could pick up some of those
flatface "Q-Beam" hand-held spotlights that were amazingly bright,
and used bulbs that also would fit a standard headlamp socket and
mount.    They used about 25 amps of current each, however... wiring
had to be perfect along with switches or you'd cook something in
short order.   They also got very hot.

I'd at first suspected they were aircraft landing lights but the 7"
versions had a high-low filament in them just like a standard 7"
headlight bulb but were leaps and bounds brighter.   There are still
some of those flatface 5.25" diameter Q-Beam lights floating around
here and there that have a bulb sporting a single filament that will
fit a HB socket in something like a Corvair.   A pair of these nasty
little suckers will certainly need a relay switched feed to keep from
cooking dimmer-headlight switches.   They also need some serious wire
to feed them.   I'd not rely on the HLPT to feed them without melting.

Then again, when would a Corvair need 400,000 candlepower high beams?

I had a 7" Q-Beam spotlight that ate the cigarette lighter socket in
my Plymouth.  I wired a Cinch-Jones socket under the dash, straight
from the battery, put a matching plug on the spotlight, worked
well.   Another guy and I used to ride down 10th Street here in town
flashing our spotlights at the streetlight sensor switches which
fooled them into thinking it was daylight, turning the street lights
off, leaving the street blacked out until the mercury vapor lights
refired again, usually took about 10-15 seconds.    We had some time
on our hands, weekends...

An old acquaintance who used to be the chief engineer at a radio
station I worked for had a basement full of mil-surplus hardware,
most of it electronic... including a landing light off what he said
was a C-124 Globemaster cargo plane.   It was a foot in diameter and
was powered by a 28 volt transformer he'd found that was the size of
a shoebox.   He used it to light up the basement for cleaning and
maintenance etc of the equipment he had in the basement.   The place
looked like a surveillance spy lab.   The lamp was pointed at a white
wall which glared bright enough to flood the basement like it was
noontime sun in July.

He once showed me how the lamp would burn a hole through a piece of
newspaper held in front of it.   I asked how much brighter it might
have been if it was running off pure DC and he said he wouldn't ever
know because he had no rectifier diodes on hand that would handle
that much current nor filter caps large enough to keep ripple off the
output.

That would be the sort of headlight that will make oncoming traffic
dimmit, dammit.   He said he used to have two but dropped and broke
one and glass shards flew in all directions with a whump.   That's a
sizeable amount of vacuum to collapse in on itself if a bulb that
size got dropped on a concrete floor.

His name was Worth Barker and he was in the "frequency measuring
business" with contracts to measure the broadcast signals transmitted
by a number of area radio stations for their monthly FCC operations
reports.   He certified that they weren't overmodulating and that
they were within specs for channel allocation freq. as well as
several other measurements that the commission required from its licensees.

He was an interesting guy.

tony..