<VV> 100 Amp Alternator Option

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Wed Aug 25 15:20:38 EDT 2010

 10SI and 10DN alternators, when you go to the high output option, don't actually make that much more current at low speeds, the big amps appear at much higher alternator RPM. This is why you don't get much of a fanbelt problem with these.

I was investigating adapting a CS130 alternator to a Corvair end frame, and kind of gave up on it because these alternators make crazy current at low alternator speeds, and as such, require far higher torque than the 10SI and 10DN units. Upside, absolutely no dimming of the headlights or slowing of the wipers and blower motor at idle, but I am pretty much convinced this thing would overload the stock belt. Hence, I have a bracket for mounting it like a smog pump, and will use a second idler in place of the alternator.
As an idea of what is going on here, a 10DN or 10SI runs about 4 amps or so rotor current at full output. A CS130 runs about 20 amps rotor current at full output, hence the significantly enhanced low speed output. This was due to a very low resistance rotor winding and a power MOSFET driver and a digital internal regulator in the CS series alternators.
It may work in the stock position, I just thought the stock belt had enough going in as it was.

John Roberts