<VV> Medical waivers - making Corvair safer

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 25 15:34:30 EDT 2010

Actually, the Corvair was tested in a (at the time, more modern) frontal
crash test. It proved to have a safety rating equivalent to a full-size
Pontiac Parisianne (same car as the Chevy Caprice).

The answer actually has more to do with the physics involved in a crash,
for two reasons. First, there is no engine block in the front, which is
important because what you want is crushability. The car should absorb the
G-forces, not the passengers, and an engine block doesn't absorb energy
very well. It merely passes the energy on to the passengers as a high
G-force hit. Without this obstruction, the front end is able to crush and
absorb the energy of the crash. Which is also exactly why they invented the
energy absorbing (crushable) steering column.

But here is where it become interesting. The second reason is that with the
engine in the rear, the car is (in the words of the research scientist
reporting it) able to "grind its nose into the barrier, thus absorbing
energy at a controlled rate." And a controlled rate is the ideal in a
crash. THAT is why the crash rating for a Corvair is equal to a REAL
full-size (at the time) car.

Personally, I've had two accidents with Corvairs, one which rolled the car
(humongous ditch was the cause of the rollover) and the other where I
T-boned a Ford wagon at a closing speed of probably 50mph. Walked away from
both, and had I had a shoulder belt in the latter, wouldn't have even had
the knot on my chin from hitting the steering wheel. That latter crash was
so powerful that it not only put stress kinks in the roof and rear quarter
panel, but drove the drive train forward and bent the motor mounts! So I
can personally vouch for the safety of a Corvair, having (untentionally)
crash tested them in both a frontal collision and a rollover.

-Mark