<VV> Corvair as the GM VW ?

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Thu Aug 26 20:04:27 EDT 2010

 I think the Corvair suffered from some of the same schizophrenia that the Fiero suffered. GM came out with the Fiero as a commuter car, but the marketplace knew it was a sports car. After the first year, more were V6 powered than 4 bangers.

The Corvair may have started life as GM's idea of what Americans wanted the VW to be, but after a while, the marketplace wanted a LOT more power, sportier handling, etc., and the original platform soon became too limited in the HP department to ensure long term success, since the competition was no longer the VW Beetle, but it was now the Mustnag, etc.

John Roberts