<VV> Upper Head Stud - Help!

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Aug 27 00:20:31 EDT 2010

Jay,

This is a hard lesson, but never remove the top studs unless they just
unscrew easily. This would be because of other problems like previous
overheating.

Use Vise Grips to hold the studs from unscrewing while removing the head
nuts. I have used the nuts with the locking ridges, and they will come
off, but do shave some of the aluminum. You can always use a washer the
second time if a lot of aluminum is missing, but I haven't seen it.

Sounds like you have a plan now.  Good luck! It will go back together.

Frank DuVal