<VV> Valve Adjustment

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Aug 30 10:46:38 EDT 2010

Smitty Says;  A couple of people have brought it to my attention that the 61
manual does indeed describe hot running adjustment.  Thanks Guys.  The two
methods are "hot" in the maintenance section and "cold" in the assembly
section.  I obviously am a little"slow" but I read that as "build it this
way" and if you have a problem, "check it this way".
At club tech sessions I have shown over and over again that the object in
cold adjust is to "just touch" the delicate lifter piston spring and not
compress it at all.  We have had some in the club that can grasp an oily
pushrod and spin it even after the valve has started to open so I reject
that as not being a good practice for teaching.  On the other hand I have
shown the "contact" method to people and when they tried it they screwed the
lifter down till it bottomed out just because they could rock it from side
to side.You got to develop a feel for it just like when adjusting hot.  If
you don't insure the lifter is pumped all the way up you are wasting your
time.  As for one way being superior to the other, all I can say is cold is
a lot less messy.