<VV> VV Anyone tried to adapt a modern headrest to a Corvair bucket seat?

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Mon Aug 30 10:25:28 EDT 2010

Paul:

> If you want to spend the bucks these are being reproduced by Eckler's
> Corvette parts. They make the head rest and an assembly to install it in
> bucket seat backs.
>
> http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-headrest-assemblies-vinyl-1966.html?dept_id=1701

That's an interesting link.  I continue to be amazed and glad at how
lucky we are for the number of parts that were common to both Corvettes
and Corvairs.  Many of these parts wouldn't be repro-ed if they only fit
Corvairs.  (We're unlucky in the sense that the Corvette guys are
poaching our telescoping columns, but that's another story...)

As far as '66 headrest seats go, my advice would be to do nothing for
the moment and keep a standing (saved) search on eBay.  I bought a set
of headrest seatbacks many years ago (2001) and never deleted the saved
search that I set up at the time.  I just like to see them come and go
so I can keep on eye on what the market thinks they're worth.

My anecdotal experience is that a set of headrest seats appears on eBay
about 1-2 times per year.  In the grander scheme of things, that's not
such a long time to wait for a set ... especially considering that your
non-headrest seats will work just fine until you can land a pair.
Frankly, for the $350 that Ecklers is asking for repros ... that will
require installation work afterward, you could wait and purchase a set
of originals for a similar amount of money.  That's my $0.02 anyway.

If you need help setting up an eBay search (that will automatically
email you every time a set of headrest seats is listed for sale), please
contact me offline.

Steven "still needs a friggin' 66 telescoping column" Serenska

'65 Monza Convertible, 110/4
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4