<VV> valve adjustment

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Aug 30 11:24:53 EDT 2010

I do it by feeling for the 'click' to go away when rocking the rocker arm, I can get to within an 1/8th turn of zero.  I like the paper for a feeler gauge, I'll pass that one along.

One note for anyone doing the 'hot' method - when you back the adjusting nut off, make sure it 'clacks' for several seconds.  If you have a slightly sticking lifter it may not really be at zero.

A point often missed by the 1/4 turn from zero advocates is that the lifter is intended to run at zero lash.  The 1/4 turn spec is for racers who were having problems with the lifters pumping up at high RPMs and floating the valves.  This isn't an issue below 5000 rpm or so with an 891 cam, so using the 1/4 turn spec isn't required for most general use Corvair engines.  I find 1/2 turn works pretty well, it allows for some adjustment error (that 1/8 turn above).

--Bryan