<VV> Oil Pressure

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 13:25:39 EDT 2010

 IMHO, higher oil pressure carries with it very few sins. The amount of HP it takes to drive the pump is really pretty small, so, no biggie there.

However, higher pressure does get you higher oil flow, and that's good for a lot of reasons. It allows the oil to carry away more heat, since the flow is greater. The higher flow that comes with higher pressure also makes oil coolers work better, although, you will see a rise in oil temperature simply because the higher oil flow also carries away more heat from the engine.

Obviously, getting to the point where you're blowing gaskets, oil filters, stripping the drive gears, etc., is a bad thing, but that's probably well north of 100 PSI.

I don't get the foaming thing, since most of that is caused by windage, etc. But that's just me!

John Roberts