<VV> "trailer queens" vs. drivers

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 2 09:47:42 EST 2010

 I have a partly similar story. I restored the '69 Fitch for the '84 national. I did trailer it as it was quite pristine. Now the story changes. I ran it in the rally and autocross. When I got back to the hotel and raised the engine lid. I realized that I left the oil cap off the filler.

 The entire compartment including the lid and under the engine was dripping oil. So I drove to the local FLAPS and got 2 cans of engine gunk cleaner. Back to the hotel and their loading dock. They had a huge hose to clean the dock, so the car got a high pressure washing top and bottom.

 I had to follow that with a total detailing of the compartment and under carriage. Exhausted and disgusted I quit for the day. At the concours the next day I expect a fair score, but that night at the banquet I took the class and wonder after wonder, best in show.

 Persistence pays off. Years later I drove it to the PA National it was still senior division quality. It is not a trailer queen now having toured the mountains in Vermont with Hemmings, and many local shows.. The trailer, however, is retired and holds (for the last 8 years) the next project.

 MIKE KOVACS