<VV> Corvairs in the Winter

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Sat Jan 9 11:11:39 EST 2010

I have been driving the Greenbrier I own today since 1969.  But
somewhere around 1975 I stopped driving it on salt-covered roads.

When I did drive it in the winter, it was equipped with four studded
show tires and, since it has Posi, it was darn near unstoppable.  (There
is still some body damage under the front bumper from the frozen
snowbank that succeeded in stopping it one winter night.)

Near my home at the time there is a narrow and very steep road that is
the first to be barricaded and closed when there is a snowstorm.
However, this road is also a significant shortcut and I was not about to
let several inches of snow and a police barricade send me the long way
'round.  I chugged up that road, and when I got to the top, a guy
walking his dog called out, in all seriousness, "Does that thing have
four wheel drive?"

I owned a different Greenbrier during the 1980s and during one
particularly bad storm I put a set of tire chains on it.  Katie bar the
door!  It was like driving on clear roads.

Of course, if I may boast, I think I am a much better snow driver than
most people.  More recently, I drove my two wheel drive S-10 pickup --
certainly no one's idea of a snowmobile -- over a closed mountain road
during a blizzard, passing all the stuck SUVs.  I set no speed records,
and periodically I had to stop, back up, and try again, but my 2WD
pickup made it over the mountain while the AWD suburbanites sat.

I am debating whether to subject my Rampside, purchased last Spring, to
winter driving...

--Bob Marlow