<VV> engine paint question

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun Jan 10 23:15:22 EST 2010

At 21:12 1/10/2010 -0500, Tim Colson wrote:

>maybe silly question , but has anyone come up with a good semi gloss paint
>that resists gasoline??

The factory engine sheet metal was dipped in a special lacquer and then
baked.  I doubt that this formulation is available any more due to EPA
regulations.

>  i made a test board today with 4 different types and ALL move with  gas.
>found this out after a carb leaked a little gas ( blasted a small  amount
>all over the place!) on my nice new truck motor. same paints  are on my nice
>new coupe motor.  all that detail work is now wasted.   i am soo happy!
>rustoleum semi gloss , duplicolor de1635 engine paint , 1603 semigloss ,
>and a krylon semi all are moved by gasoline.

All the paints you list are enamels.  You may want to try the fuel test on
Duplicolor 1608 semi-gloss lacquer.  We would all be interested in the results.

>   guess i better spend the  bucks
>on powder coat? (too glossy for my taste )

Powder coating is probably the closest currently available coating process
to the original dip/bake finish.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI