<VV> Frustration with Clark's Corvair

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 27 09:50:08 EST 2010

If I may put in my two cents worth, as a customer and also as his supplier
(on some parts), so I talk to Cal often. Cal gets his molded carpet (as
does Wall's, and probably anyone else who supplies molded LM Corvair
carpet) from ACC, who like Cal's wiring harness supplier, is notoriously
difficult to deal with. They have the attitude that since they are the ONLY
supplier of said goods, it's their way or the highway, so any requests
outside of the way they want to supply said part gets a big "go ****
yourself" response. In other words, it's not Cal who's inflexible, but his
suppliers.

I purchased a molded carpet (thru Wall's) back in '93. At that time, I
noted (among other things) that they had put the binding for the center
strip of carpet (which is attached to the rear piece, and lies between the
buckets) on the rear section. Totally incorrect, as ALL binding goes on the
FRONT piece of carpet. I mentioned this to Lon, and he passed the info to
ACC. Their response (if memory serves me right) was as I mentioned above.
They neither cared nor wanted to be accurate.

Pretty sad when manufacturers of parts for the old car hobby take that
attitude. But then, they know they have you over a barrel. The Corvair is
not like something really popular, like a Camaro for instance, where
everybody and his brother can supply the same parts, simply because the
market's that big. Only then can the market encourage the best, most
accurate reproduction parts. We Corvair enthusiasts thus often have to
accept what is offered, and to his defense, Cal does try to offer the best
parts possible. But like any businessman, he often has to compromise
accuracy and quality, just in order to have SOMEthing available. He
regrettably can only control that on parts he himself manufactures.

-Mark