<VV> Where's Ralph?

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 27 12:00:25 EST 2010

My thought exactly when I read it. Though you really can't deny that,
without his "Unsafe at Any Speed" book, misguided (and even wrong) as it
was, the auto safety issue would have ever gained as much ground as quickly
as it did. Sometimes it takes a public "scandal" and outcry for legislation
to get issues off dead center, or even talked about to begin with.
Ralphie's book was just such a firestarter. Not to get political, but it's
doubtful that many of the safety features and designs on modern cars would
have ever made it into production, let alone universal adoption, had it NOT
been for the legislation that Ralphie's book spawned.

In that respect, what was wrong (Ralphie) turned out to produce something
positive (safety legislation). So begrudgingly, I guess he deserves
something. Not sure about an award, though. ;o) (fill in your own ideas....)

-Mark