<VV> "de-tuning" a 110

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Jan 27 23:26:36 EST 2010

A 110PG combo is just about the most detonation prone combo out there... and
due to the (relatively) peaky cam, retarding the timing even just a few
degrees really hits performance, not to mention mileage. So if you are
actually able to retard timing far enough to run on 87 octane, you'll
probably find the performance unacceptable AND actually be spending more on
fuel than you would be buying premium.

In my 110PG VW Westy, I'm running stock timing, but already have the
compression dropped using the 2 base gaskets. Not only can't I run 87
octane, this barely allows it to run 93 octane without pinging when lugged
(as a fully laden VW Westy is prone to do).

My advice is to forget about the false economy of trying to get a 110PG to
run on 87 octane fuel... you'd likely end up with superior performance _and_
mileage with a lower compression /cooler cam engine like a 95.

Oh, and with modern fuel, I think most of us have bumped the jets a few
sizes anyway... regardless of cam or compression. This basically gets you
back to design baseline... and design baseline for a 110 was premium fuel.

I know there are plenty of folks out there who will jump in and say that
their 110PG runs just fine on 87... I just haven't personally seen it work.

Bill