<VV> Alternator conversion

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jan 31 21:37:42 EST 2010

At 05:45 PM 1/31/2010, J R Read_HML wrote:
>Sounds a little high to me , but the alternator has to be initially
>"excited".  One quick rev typically does it, maybe around 1 grand.  But, you
>are probably JF - just fine.
>Later, JR

Yeah.  I've seen later vintage alternators to this often.    A blip
of the throttle and they charge normally.

There's a 1978 Kenworth truck-crane at work that has a Delco
automotive (nothing special) alternator on it that does the same
thing and it looks like the original installed alternator judging
from the thick dusty gray patina on it.    ...and it has to charge
two BIG 6 volt batteries that must weigh over 100 lbs
each.     ...got respect for that alternator which, after a
cold-morning start with a lot of cranking, will show 60 amps of
charge current once it blips "on".

tony..