<VV> Clark's A/C Instruction booklet

Taruffi57 at aol.com Taruffi57 at aol.com
Sun Jul 11 09:43:02 EDT 2010

Massive Confusion.

After a read-through and looking at the templates I was sent by Clark's, I
find these points confusing:  AND, several of their pics are so black and
poor that you can't see detail.
(a)  Pg. 19 of booklet:  Reference to drilling of a hole at  "A".  There is
no "A" in the pic but it may be in a black/dark area which  would be from
Clark's poor copying of this booklet.
(b)  Pg. 19 of booklet.  Hole "C" - which appears to be hose hole  for line
from Dryer to Evaporator, is shown right where I think the Blower Assy.
has to sit.  This has to be wrong.
(c)  I can find no reference to exactly where you position the Blower
template to cut the large hole - or is it 2 holes(?) to mount the Blower  Assy.
(d)  there is not one pic of the blower holes - cut, nor any pic of  the
blower mounted in position in this instructional booklet.  In short, I  know
where it goes, but I'm not going to cut until I know EXACTLY where to  cut.
(e)  no mention of moving the Windshield Washer Bracket/Tank  Assy. nor
where to re-mount it.
(f)  1 or 2 of the Templates have 2 Templates overlayed each other on  the
same sheet of paper - with instructions to cut them out.  Not only is  there
NO wording on those Templates to say WHAT they are for, but it is not
clear exactly where to cut to separate them.

I am doing a trunk-mount Condenser new A/C installation on my '69  Coupe.
All of the above makes me wonder what confusion I will run  into when I get
into mounting the Evaporator and the Engine area parts.

While I certainly appreciate the vast effort someone put into creating this
 manual, there are also other small points of confusion for the first-time
installer where it appears that the manual writer assumed that we would
already  know details.  I think I'm better than average at figuring out a lot
of  things - mechanical, but it seems to me that when you write a manual such
as  this, you have to assume that the reader may be a 1st-time, cold-turkey
 installer who needs everything written out in clear step-by-step sequence.

I'll be calling Clark's on Monday morning.

Joe Dunlap
Florida
2 Corvairs