<VV> 4 gallons

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 20 03:07:22 EDT 2010

Hi Matt,

My wife rarely (if ever) drives my Vair (Her choice - not mine).

I got 280ish (maybe 290 - 300?) out of my current (car) Vair on the way to
Cedar Rapids.  I'll admit that I was "sloshing" the tank after it hit E
(steering Rt and Lft on occasion to see if the needle would still move)
while looking for my favorite brand of gas and for when I thought I might be
in actual serious trouble on fuel.  I pulled into one station that had 89 as
the highest octane and left without adding.  When I finally found (best I
could find - second stop) 91 octane, it took 13.2 gallons and I was at least
50 miles (probably more) past the E mark.

What else can I say.  Oh, 140 HP engine - top down.  I'm not real gentle on
the skinny pedal.  Clean tank, sock, etc and stock fuel pump.

On the other hand ... When you are out of gas - you are out of gas.  So,
don't embarrass the Corvair community by being on the side of the road for
THAT reason!

Later, JR