<VV> Cooling Oil WAS Summer/winter plate

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Jul 28 06:32:44 EDT 2010

It is quite difficult to cool oil.  If one chills the oil cooling surface the oil will form a thermal barrier and the heat loss will diminish to almost nothing.  The incoming air is somewhat heated at that point but still cooler than the oil in the cooler so the greatest amount of heat transfer takes place.
Ken P

"Clark Hartzel" <chartzel at comcast.net> wrote:

This plate is only on late model Corvairs.  The earlies just had a piece of
the shroud tin bent upwards toward the oil cooler.  I could never understand
why you would want to direct hot air onto the oil cooler so I bent all of
mine shut.
If you drive in the winter you want some heat coming up to the carbs so bend
it open again.
Clark