<VV> ANY model engine removal question

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Jun 3 08:13:28 EDT 2010

Yes Tony, BUT, in any automatic Corvair there is a chance of bending the transmission input shaft, not that big a deal even though it happens quite quickly and easily as well as frequently.

On standard shift models there is a great chance of breaking the throwout bearing snout attached to the rear axle gear housing.  This is  a pretty big deal when one realizes what it takes to replace the snout and this happens a lot.

Even though there are many of you out there that has 'got away with' pulling the engine only, I recommend inexperienced and moderately experienced mechanics as well as those that do not have proper equipment to handle the engine as it is being removed always take the whole power train out as an assembly.  After all, it went into the car as an assembly.
Ken P

Tony Underwood <tony.underwood at cox.net> wrote:  [in part]

Anyway... I always remove just the engine only when I need to do a
clutch or if the engine needs to come out for repairs...   that's
both lates AND earlies.   I don't pull the whole drivetrain unless
the transaxle needs to come out for some reason and yes you CAN take
an early engine out without pulling the transaxle with it.   There
are a couple of tricks and the right kind of puller/hoist helps a lot.

And, I can easily do it by myself.

Tony