<VV> fuel pump question- also 65' vair with the ignition woes nowruns on starting fluid =)

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 3 23:06:23 EDT 2010

Ray,

It is a bit like the EM vs LM "debate".  I've always used the stock style
mechanical pumps.  There was a bad run of them about 20 years ago and they
ended up with a bad rep as a result and it then became popular to install
electric pumps (which can also fail).  The thing is, once a mechanical pump
dries out (if it was an older one) it can develop leaks as the rubber cannot
stand up to the modern gas once the gas is gone.  If kept wet with gas, even
the older ones will be fine.  Newer mechanical pumps contain a material
which does not seem to suffer that malady.

You could take a look in the carb bowls and see if any black (probably
rubber) particles are present.  If so, they could be from the pump or from
the accelerator pump cups - which can also suffer if allowed to dry out.  If
not, you are probably fine and just need to prime the pump enough to fill
the bowls (if not already full).

Oh, how old is your gas?  You may need to source your gas from a can of
fresh stuff.

Later, JR