<VV> Dealer installed options - non-Corvair Chevy story

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 13 10:37:40 EDT 2010

In '84 I ordered my third (and present) Sub, with power locks but without
power windows. On the order, the salesman had to QuickSpec the order, which
had the power windows and locks as a one-item "Convienience package". Then
he had to order a power windows delete, which had either a "Q" or "O" in
the code (I forget which). He got those two letters crossed, and ordered
the truck. The factory computer ignored the non-recognizable code, and went
ahead and built it WITH power windows. When it came in, I could have
refused the order. But as it was too late in the year to reorder it, I
negotiated a discount on the windows option.

To this day, I STILL wish the truck had manual windows. It sits most of the
time, so the power windows get slow when they aren't excercised, and can
often quit working altogether. That's just one reason why I also ordered it
with a manual crank tailgate window, even though I had to forgo a rear
defrost window (it was tied together with the power tailgate window option.)

-Mark