<VV> Any info on '69 Convertible #2470?

Dave Leonard dave at arborlea.com
Wed Jun 16 23:38:34 EDT 2010

After years of looking for a quality "keeper" non-PG '69. this spring, on
Easter Sunday, I bought a '69 Convertible, #2470.  It appears to have 29k
miles on it, and given its condition the mileage is potentially believable.
It's red/black, with a black power top, 4-speed, 140, AM/FM, wire caps,
bumper guards, and all the original smog equipment (in the trunk).  In
general it's in excellent condition.  Although repainted, it doesn't seem to
have had any accident damage, has the original interior, original engine,
and absolutely no rust anywhere I can find.  A few things need to be "put
right", but in general it's remarkably clean.  I have a bit of work to do to
it this summer - a few oil leaks and the carbs need some attention, but I
intend to drive and enjoy it, preserve it, and maintain it as original as
possible.

I'm now trying to fill in the considerable blanks on the car, its ownership
history, and capture anything anyone knows about it.  What a long strange
trip it's been for sure for this '69 - at least 8 owners from what I've been
able to determine so far -  in reverse order:

John Weber, OH (3/09-4/10, previous owner who I bought it from)

John Noyes, NH (1/05-2/09, bought it w/ 20k miles, sold w/ 26k miles),

Listed on eBay 1/2004 w/ 20,499 miles (I have a copy of the listing)

[Pete?] Charles (Bought it from Tom Mack in 4/03

Tom Mack Classic cars (NC, fall/02 - 4/03, listed in FTF as owner),

Jeff Gast (Lancaster PA - no information yet, but Tom Mack claims he bought
it from Jeff along with a '69 coupe w/ 900 miles on it which was
subsequently sold to someone in Alaska),

George Goodwin, Hagerstown, MD.  Owner of record as of 1996 FTF

Robert Lapp, Lancaster PA, Owned in 1988 at least, work done on it by
Richard Peris.  Car show entry tag indicates 17k original miles)

I'd appreciate any information anyone has on this car.  I have lots of
questions.  Who else owned it through the years?  Who originally bought it?
Why did it only acquire 17k miles in the first 20 years?  What happened to
the protect-o-plate?  Why was it painted?  Why did someone seemingly
re-paint the trunk to "detail" it?

Any and all info appreciated!  Thanks!

Dave Leonard, NJ

'69 Monza Convert 140/4

'66 Corsa Coupe 180/4

'65 Corsa Convert 180/4 (to be sold to make room.)

'64 Spyder Convert 140/4