<VV> Removing an cleaning under top fan shroud

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jun 20 15:15:29 EDT 2010

At 02:50 PM 6/20/2010, Ray R. \(aka Grymm\) wrote:
>It's an easy job.  I have one thing to add to what is already posted... one
>of the bolts that holds the top shroud on is under the fresh air hose...  I
>usually just disconnect the hose and remove the bolted on flange it clamps
>onto from the shroud and get at it that way, but I imagine you could
>probably get at it with a wrench and some dexterity!
>
>To help out I'm going to post an "off the top of my head" removal procedure.
>
>0. remove the entire air cleaner assembly or assemblies
>1. remove the single bolt that holds the fuel pump in place and wiggle it
>till it is free (they are usually stuck in place from age)
>2. remove the alternator
>3. disconnect the choke rods from the carbs
>4. take the nuts off that hold the carbs on
>5. lift the carbs up and off the engine with the linkage and fuel lines/pump
>still attached.. its actually a nice easy thing to move around as a unit
>6. remove the bolts from the vacuum tube that goes accross the front of the
>engine and attaches to the air cleaner base (its the PCV system) pull the
>hoses off the carb bases and push the assembly forward or remove it to get
>it out of the way
>7.  remove the belt
>8.  disconnect the fresh air hose from the top shroud, remove the flange for
>it from the top shroud
>9.  pull all the plug wires off the plugs (to reinstall note #1 is the
>shortest wire and follow the firing order on the shroud itself).
>10 go all the way around the shroud and remove all the bolts, this requires
>three different size sockets for the three different size bolts.  It's easy
>to miss some of them so look hard.
>11 lift the shroud off the engine
>12 reverse procedure to reinstall

Don't forget to disconnect the inlet fuel line to the
pump...   ;)   Use two wrenches so you don't unscrew the brass inlet
adaptor with the flange nut on the line.

I heartily agree this is the quickest and simplest way to get the
shroud off.   It's sometimes quite interesting to see what you can
find under the shroud.    Once found a mouse nest with a dead mouse
in it.   Also found red shop rags, leaves, cotton batting stolen by
other rodents out of the back seat, and loads and loads of seed hulls
of some sort, about the size of navy beans.   Hundreds of them.

tony..