<VV> metallic brake shoes

Lon Anderson lonzovair at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 00:11:48 EST 2011

Frank, Dave, & others...
I knew two guys maybe 20 years ago who ran Velvetouch metallic brake shoes, and they had both removed the self adjusters (which really didn't show up until late 62 on the Corvairs, but were available for "retro-fit" from the dealer)....
I think HTKYCA mentions removing the self adjusterd as well, but it's been 15 years since I had a copy of that book.... maybe someone can check that out?
Of course my '64 700 has the self adjusters, but my '61 Greenbrier has manual adjust brakes (and I run regular shoes on both).... which I tend to take care of whenever I change the oil... I like knowing where I stand with the brake linings on my vehicles...
So, to get back to the "rule o' thumb", that's one that I'd heard from the guys that ran those type shoes (at different times), and they both seemed to think keeping the self adjusters off and adjusting them manually not only made the shoes last longer, but the drums as well... so I figured "why mess with success"...
I've never ran metallic shoes, but for some reason, whatever it may be, the advice of those two guys stuck with me....
Later,
Lonzo