<VV> Distributor Rebuilding Help Needed

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:06:13 EST 2011

> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:22:23 -0500
> From: Tom Hughes <corvairdad at gmail.com>
> Subject: <VV> Distributor Rebuilding Help Needed
> To: VirtualVairs AA <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
> My daughter's '68 110 engine was not holding a steady dwell, so checked the
> shaft for looseness and found it moved all over. I swapped in a spare
> distributor, ordered a new bushing, and disassembled the dist. This included
> carefully forcing off the cam from the shaft. This was the first time I've
> tackled a distributor rebuild. Last night I began the rebuild by pressing a
> cold bushing into a heated housing. The next step was to press the cam back
> onto the oiled end of the shaft. I did this, but now the cam does not turn
> freely on the shaft. I pushed it back off, used some emory cloth on the
> shaft, re-oiled, and re-installed. A little better, but definitely still not
> free.
>
> I'm stumped. Would someone please share the trick for getting this back
> together properly?
>
> Much thanks,
>
> --
> Tom in Baltimore
> corvairfleet.blogspot.com

 Tom- To me it sounds as though you generated a bit of a burr, either on the cam or the shaft.
If you can identify the high spot, it might be easier to file off the spot causing the fit problem,
rather than to continue using the emory cloth. A trick that I've used to find high spots like that
is to coat the shaft with a ink pen, and then fit the parts. The high spots scratch away the ink.
Kevin Nash