<VV> A Field Repair on the Balky Shift Linkage

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Fri Jan 14 20:58:49 EST 2011

Thanks to everyone for your help with the reluctant linkage on my Monza.
Your solutions were all dead on.

While describing the problem with the linkage to a machinist friend, he
asked "why don't you just have it tack welded for now? It will all have
to come off anyway when you purchase and install the new parts."

So I took the Monza to the island garage and the mechanic looked at it
up on the lift. He sought to loosen the clamp - rusted shut - or wedge
something around the pin. No luck.

Instead, he had me shift it into reverse a few time [with his help] and
saw that he could put a small tack weld to tighten up the coupler. The
moment he did so the car shifted just fine.

He feels that he got a strong weld there but one that he can easily
grind away when the time comes to replace the pieces with new ones. This
is great news as I'll need the car on the mainland next week in order to
go give a talk.

It's a makeshift solution, and not an elegant one, but as a good field
repair, it should do me ok a while.

Jeff

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, Maine 04863