<VV> Starter free spin

cmot at ix.netcom.com cmot at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 6 03:25:40 EST 2011

Ray:
Back in the 70's we used to see this problem in a line of "Arrow" brand
rebuilt starters. They used a starter drive that evidently had incorrect
lube inside the sealed sprag clutch of the starter drive. When it got cold
(somewhere below freezing, I don't remember the exact temp) the grease kept
the rollers retracted and the mechanism from locking up to turn the gear. We
would disassemble the starter and install a "good brand" new drive, Delco or
Napa at the time, and problem went away.
Chet